Are you the one?
Be a part of the art. Join the Real Art Ways team.
MASTER TEACHING ARTIST – EYE ON VIDEO at REAL ART WAYS, 2019
Real Art Ways seeks a Master Teaching Artist (instructor) for 6–week, full-time temporary position in Summer 2019. This person will serve as the lead teacher for our filmmaking program for high school students, Eye on Video, which Real Art Ways has hosted for the past 13 years. The Master Teaching Artist will work in deep collaboration with the Education Coordinator and the Teaching Assistant to present an innovative, challenging, and meaningful summer program for 15 film–curious students from Greater Hartford.
• Design and implement an upper high school level curriculum for a 6–week course with creative content that includes: composition, scriptwriting, camera operation, sound design, lighting design, editing/post–production, history of moving image.
• Lead lessons, technical demonstrations, assignments, and art historical content about seminal films in western and non-western cultures.
• Teach students relevant content about video art, media art and other creative use of the moving image as connected to the contemporary art world.
• Manage all cinematic/production aspects of public film finale presentation.
• Chaperone students on citywide workshops (1 off-site trip per week).
• Manage a teaching assist and up to 2 summer interns.
• Maintain a safe, productive learning environment for students.
• A passion for film as an art medium with an acute interest in storytelling
• Deep knowledge of Cinema and/or New Media studies
• Experience with writing and successfully implementing a curriculum
• Commitment of working toward a just and equitable society
• An active teaching and professional artist resume/CV, ideally teaching high school students of diverse backgrounds and ability levels
• Technologically savvy, including fluency in DSLR cameras and Adobe Creative Suites
• Highly organized and able to juggle responsibilities while maintaining collegiality
• Higher education degree with a major in Cinema, Media Arts, or Education preferred<
• Attention to detail
• Reliability and punctuality a must
• Strong belief in Real Art Ways’ mission
• Creative energy and sense of humor a plus!
• Mandatory background check and drug-screening test
June 1–24, variable to prep program and curriculum;
June 24–August 2, Monday–Friday, 8:30 AM–3:30 PM;
August 3–September 3, variable to wrap up program.
If this sounds like an interesting opportunity and you want to be a part of our team, we want to hear from you. Please email a cover letter and resume, in a single PDF, to Education Coordinator Tina Parziale at firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line: Master Teaching Artist. Resumes will be reviewed until the job is filled.
Real Art Ways provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.
Real Art Ways offers part-time, unpaid internships during the fall and spring semester, as well as during the summer. Learning opportunities are typically available in Communications and Visual Arts, with possibilities in other departments.
If you are interested in pursing an internship at Real Art Ways, please email the appropriate department with a cover letter and resume.